Washington Walkout

Around 1:20 a.m. on Sat., May 18, two former Cedar Rapids Washington students were shot and killed in the parking lot of Iowa Smoke shop on the southwest side. There were a total of four victims,  with two victims currently in the hospital sustaining life-threatening injuries. The victims killed were 18-year old Royal Ceiz Abram and 18-year old Matrell Michael Eu’gene Johnson. Authorities believe it was a targeted attack and the investigation is ongoing. The Cedar Rapids Police Department identified three persons of interest, 21-year old DeShawn Hull, 24-year old Alexandra Smith, and 25-year old Andre Richardson. Richardson is a former Wash student who attended Wash from 2012-2014.

At 10:15 a.m. on Mon., May 20,  Wash students organized a walkout to honor the lives lost from the shooting and to protest gun violence. The walkout was supported by administration and students were informed through the announcements. The walkout was located around the flagpole, where six students spoke. Members of the community also joined the students during the walkout.

Many students knew the victims and are fed up with the amount of lives lost from gun violence.

“We need to be better and do better. There have been countless kids in my grade who should be graduating with us next weekend who have been taken away from us.” said Lily Burns, ’19.

More information will be reported as it is received.