Home Wi-Fi access for 1 million students

Jared Barger, Staff Reporter

The Cedar Rapids Community School District (CRCSD) is providing a Google Chromebook to every student for academic, and personal (let’s be honest) use during the 2019-2020 school year. It will eliminate the use of paper and make assignments more accessible to students.

Students will also be able to take them home to work on homework. However, the problem with that is that not all students have access to Wi-Fi at home. So they would be unable to get on canvas, powerschool, and other sites.

Google Docs does offer an offline mode to work, but not all features would be available. And if the district does eventually go all electronic, this would pose a problem.

But the District just received some good news. Students that don’t have internet outside of school that are selected will be part of the 1 million Project. This initiative provides 3GB per month of wireless data to high schoolers across America.

This initiative is hoping to ensure that all students get the research done that they need to succeed. They know that Washington has a lot of potential and they are helping to make “all learners future ready.”

Jared Barger, Staff Reporter

Hello everyone! I am Jared Barger and I am the newest member of the Surveyor. I am a freshman and joined the staff at the start of the second semester....