2020 Election: Early Presidential Candidates

Jessie Koozer

With less than 2 years until the 2020 election, politicians have recently been announcing their plans to run against current President Donald Trump. As of March 9, there are 11 people who have announced their campaigns.

The list of candidates includes Sen. Elizabeth Warren, Julián Castro, Rep. Tulsi Gabbard, Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, Sen. Kamala Harris, Pete Buttigieg, Sen. Cory Booker, Sen. Amy Klobuchar, Sen. Bernie Sanders, Gov. Jay Inslee, and John Hickenlooper.

Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D) has represented Massachusetts since 2013. According to Warren’s website, she has promised to fight for middle class families and wants to ensure that everyone has a fair shot to get ahead.

Julián Castro (D) is a former U.S. secretary of housing and urban development who served during the Obama administration from 2014 to 2017. Castro has made an announcement where he promoted Medicare for all and universal preschool.

Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D) has represented Hawaii since 2013. Gabbard’s website states that her priorities are to call for an end to America’s disastrous policy of regime-change wars and a renewed commitment to protecting our planet and rebuilding communities.

Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D) has represented New York since 2006. Gillibrand’s website states that her main focuses have been tackling the economic issues families face which includes advocating for universal preschool and high-quality day care, equal pay for equal work, and a national paid family and medical leave program.

Sen. Kamala Harris (D) has represented California since 2017. On Harris’ website, her main campaign points have been Medicare for all, universal preschool, debt-free college, and cutting taxes for the middle-class.

Pete Buttigieg (D) has been the mayor of South Bend, Indiana since 2012. Buttigieg wants to rebuild the Democratic party from the ground up and. Buttigieg has also made statements about abolishing the electoral college.

Sen. Cory Booker (D) has represented New Jersey since 2013. Booker supports criminal justice reform which was one of the main points in an ad he released.

Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D) has represented Minnesota since 2007. During a recent speech Klobuchar talked about universal healthcare, fixing aging infrastructure, and creating an automatic voter registration law for 18-year-olds.

Sen. Bernie Sanders (I) has represented Vermont since 2007. Sanders previously ran in 2016, losing the Democratic nomination to Hillary Clinton. Sanders supports many liberal viewpoints including free college tuition, medicare for all, and raising the minimum wage to $15.

Gov. Jay Inslee (D) has governed Washington state since 2013. Inslee focused on climate change prevention in ad he released, emphasizing the use of clean energy.

John Hickenlooper (D) was former governor of Colorado from 2011 to 2019. In a recent speech Hickenlooper called for an end to divisive politics and stated his belief that healthcare is a right.

Jessie Koozer, Staff Reporter

Hi! I'm Jessie, I'm a sophomore and a staff reporter, and this is my first year on The Surveyor. I'm in Take Charge, Interact, Speech, and show choir....