Service Above Self Award

In honor of the work of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., the Rotary Club of Cedar Rapids selects a member from each high school to be recognized for their individual contributions to the community and awards them with a “Service Above Self Award.” Washington High School’s 2019 award recipient is Katiana Arnold, ’19.

Looking for students that stand apart from the rest, the Rotary Club of Cedar Rapids has been closely following Arnold’s journey throughout her time at Wash. John Cline, Wash’s principal, nominated Arnold for the award, as he has been blown away by her achievements upon his arrival to Wash.

“Katiana is an exemplary Warrior who excels in academics, performing arts, athletics, and service. She has a heart for helping others, and while she is a leader in many student groups, her care for others manifests itself in her daily interactions with peers,” said Cline.

While still managing to work at the Mt. Vernon Road Hy-Vee, Arnold is a leader of many groups at Wash, such as Sisters to Sisters, Cheerleading, Jazz Band, MVP, and serves as Vice President of the senior class. During her free periods, Arnold voluntarily spends her time in Special Education classrooms providing extra help or tutoring students who are struggling in a class to make sure they have the best chance at success.

“Katiana is a born leader who doesn’t yet know her strength. She’s humble, hardworking, talented, and an incredible woman all around. I can’t wait to see what she does next,” said Christina Wright, the advisor of Sisters to Sisters.

Arnold takes great pride in her efforts to change racial bias and gain positive recognition for African-American students in the community.

“I’ve been working to make sure Wash is a place where all kids can be treated fairly and to make sure everyone is getting something out of school each day. But a lot of my work has been making Wash a better place for African-American students to attend,” said Arnold.

“She is always willing to lend a hand to lothers and encourages her peers to make good decisions. She is an outstanding young lady,” said Cline.