Underappreciated Clubs

With a diverse student body and a wide variation of hobbies and interests, Wash has formed several clubs over the years catering to a vast range of students. Many of us are aware of clubs like Speech and Amnesty International, but there are several other clubs at Wash that aren’t nearly as publicized.

Sponsored by John Graham, a science teacher at Wash, Backpacking Club is perfect for anyone interested in exploring the depths of nature. This club isn’t currently in session, but Graham has an interest in bringing it back. The group would meet occasionally and go on two camping trips over the year, one in the spring and one in the fall. “Usually we would go to a local state park, eat dinner, set up camp, go on a hike, then chill around the campfire and talk,” said Graham.

If you’re tired of your parents nagging you about the excessive amounts of time you spend playing video games, you can do it in peace 3-4 p.m. on Wednesdays in Jason Wood’s room, 218. Video Game Club consists of about 25 attendees who thoroughly enjoy their tech time, including a president, vice president, secretary, and treasurer. During the one hour session, members do exactly what it sounds like, play video games. “Their two favorite activities are ‘Halo’ on the Xbox One and ‘Super Smash Brothers’ on the Nintendo Switch,” said Wood.

Another club at Wash is the Washington Literary Press sponsored by David Duer. WLP produces several issues throughout the year displaying students’ poetry and artwork. Members of the club discuss themes, layouts, and decide which pieces to incorporate in the next issue. Meetings are held Tuesdays and Thursdays for about an hour after school in Duer’s room, 232. “WLP is great for people who aren’t artistic but who can appreciate art,” said club member Maddy Andersen, ‘21.

Most clubs at Wash are inclusive and open to all students, allowing everyone to find something they’re individually passionate towards. To take part in any of the above, all you must do is show up to the meetings or talk to the sponsoring teacher.