Politicized Education is Harming

Back to Article
Back to Article

Politicized Education is Harming

Photo of the 2nd floor hallway, by Matthew Gearhart

Matthew Gearhart, Opinions Editor

Politicized Education is defined as the manipulation of education for political gain. The underlying bias woven throughout the seams of educational institutions. The spoiling of education into indoctrination. Manifesting in any situation, conversation, learning material, or sign. Degrading class content to a one sided forum of political tussle. It’s the teacher explaining to the class how they perceive the president and political climate while intimidating those who disagree. Creating an environment of intolerance towards particular views. Public schools by necessity are an expansion of our political system, resulting in schools being reduced to vehicles for implementing political mandates. And it’s ever presently deteriorating educational organizations.

The negative effects of politics within education are a laundry list. It completely stagnates the freedom of sharing thoughts and ideas, resulting in a monolithic collective environment of perception.There is no social evolution without out freedom to share your opinion.  It can make certain students feel unwanted and ill accepted in the school. Students who are politically observant and understand a lot about the history and science behind it, see bias inside the classroom as very transparent. Although for individuals who aren’t as well versed in the political world, it’s less possible to see through political agendas. Subsequently, indoctrinating them with political views they have no in depth knowledge of. Cutting hunger for knowledge and intellect short. It also damages the moral orthodoxy of public society. Creating a more polarizing domain where lack of respect, morals and public decency is becomes more prevalent.

“Students who aren’t as politically active may be getting most of their information from what their class discusses, and when the teacher only gives out biased information, that can hurt their learning experience.” stated Layne Wilson 21’, a politically versed student here at Wash.

The alternative? Public education in the US requires a new severance, parallel to the separation of church and state, a wall between education and a one sided notion on national politics. Wash as well as schools across America, especially under this political climate should always welcome reasonable freedom of political beliefs and ideas from student, teacher to administrator. An environment where individuals can have an intelligent conversation offering one anothers take on abortion, immigration, economics, social issues, the list goes on. Without heckle or attack on others with differing viewpoints. This will make the social conditions at school more open and welcome. Which means less fights and more conversations. This ultimately good for school.

Wilson added “Teachers should be able to discuss politics in the classroom, and express their opinions. Although, teachers need to be very open to others opinions. And of course be willing to have a conversation in the classroom.”

We can accomplish this on the individual level, when speaking to a person whose opinions you oppose vehemently. Understand that there are reasons why they might have these opinions. Treat them with respect, don’t attempt to impose your beliefs on others. And understand that individuals don’t know everything, but we can all learn from just speaking to one another. Try to see where they’re coming from. Welcome reasonable arguments into the subject you’re teaching about or conversing over.

Matthew Gearhart, Opinions Editor

Hello everyone, my name is Matthew Gearhart, this is my beginning year at Wash's Surveyor, I am an Opinions Editor and a Sophomore. I debate and run xc....