• October 18December 2018 Virtual Issue out now!

Marching to Victory

Back to Article
Back to Article

Marching to Victory

Jaydin McMickle, Co Opinions Editor

The sea of blue took their final wave Monday at the Linn-Mar field, at the Midwest MB Classic, despite the week delay and the cold weather, Washington’s marching band came out in full swing for their final performance.
This year the band was made up of 130 students and thirty seniors who started practicing early August during the week of band camp.
Led by drum-majors senior Kendall Stenseth and junior Emily Kelly, the Warrior marching band took the title at Linn-Mars competition, received a one at state and place eighth place at Valley.
The Warrior’s also performed at Johnston and The Five Seasons show this season and finishing with the Midwest MB Classic on the 15th.
With the familiar tunes by Ella Fitzgerald, Queen, and Frank Sinatra, the marching band exceeded the high expectation of the past years.
Junior Emily Kelly who is the junior drum-major expressed how proud she was to be apart of the band this year, “It went really well after Valley last year, we were more put together,” Kelly ‘20 said. “There was more choreography and ended up being very successful,”

The amount of responsibility and poise the two drum majors made prevalent during the show. Starting with the combination to signal they are ready to take the field and to the end were the drummers create a beat to take them off the stage.
The number of cheers and supporters really showed during the season, “The student section was a lot louder, I felt there was a lot more emotion during those performances.” Kelly ’20
Senior drum-major Kendall Stenseth was ecstatic talking about this year “We did a good heckin’ job.”
She continued talking about how after last year they came to a singular mindset that it wasn’t about the placement, but how much fun had on the field.
“We understood the show, many schools can’t say that.” Stenseth ‘19
They added a bunch of dance moves and even added an electrical instrument, showing they are heading in the new direction.
We wish the best of luck to the seniors and to many more successful shows in the future.

Jaydin McMickle, Co Opinions Editor

Hi Y'all, I'm Jaydin! I am a Senior and it's my first year in Surveyor!! In my free time I do shows at TCR and that's it. I like dogs, sushi, and music....