Class of 2020 May Take ACT for Free

Grace McKinstry, Staff Reporter and Copy Editor

Due to the underwhelming number of representatives in the Cedar Rapids Community School District taking the ACT in previous years, GEAR UP and Iowa College Aid has decided to provide all juniors with an opportunity to take the ACT for free during the school day.

By providing the ACT free of charge and at the building during the school day, we are eliminating some of those barriers and making it attainable for all students,” said Kristin Mangrich.

In addition to the ACT, all 11th graders will have the opportunity to take the Pre-ACT at the ELSC if they sign up with Mangrich in advance. This will allow students to be more prepared for the actual ACT.

“The ACT has a college readiness indicator component to it. By asking all 11th grade students to take the ACT, they will each know both how prepared they are for post-secondary education and what they need to do to make post-secondary education attainable,” said Paul Hayes at the ELSC building.

Though not required to take it, a tentative date in February has been reserved for juniors to take the ACT during class time, however, if a student is absent, they are working on a makeup date, as well. It is strongly encouraged for all juniors to partake in this opportunity.

“11th grade students will be able to sign up for ACT Prep which will be provided by the school. Those dates will be set next week and sent out via announcement, Canvas and email to parents. The ACT Prep comes with materials for students to use and I will start distributing those next week (Oct. 8-12). This is free to all 11th grade students,” said Mangrich.