Led Zeppelin II Album Review

Led+Zeppelin+II.+Photo+from+FeelNumb.com+
Led Zeppelin II. Photo from FeelNumb.com

Kaden Fields, Staff Reporter

The obscurity of music in the past compared to modern music is very apparent. To most, it’s a debate whether music is better aged or new,but  personally, rock and roll speaks to me as the most influential genre of music for many reasons. The enthusiasm, expression, culture, history, and most importantly, the feeling that the listener gets. In the 70’s, Led Zeppelin created this feeling beautifully and set the foundation for music to come. One of their most famous and ambitious albums, both for them and the rock and roll genre, Led Zeppelin 2, is a fantastic example of the band’s talent in their prime.

There is not a single song that falls into the range of being bad in this album. If anything, all of the songs are unique to one another with interesting lyrics, groovy guitar riffs, and explosive sounds, in general. The album was released by Atlantic Records in 1969 and was an instant success with listeners making it the band’s first number one hit album. Being described as the “heaviest album” of their career by critics, it holds true with a legendary drum solo by John Bonham in “Moby Dick” and Jimmy Page’s unique, hard, and melodic guitar riffs and solos in songs like “Whole Lotta Love” and “Thank You.”

Led Zeppelin’s uniqueness in this album was like no other album in it’s time. Those who were fans at the time couldn’t exactly pinpoint their competition. They assumed Deep Purple was close to them musicality wise, yet their other worldly compositions were beyond its time. The album’s only problems for me is the length of some of its songs. For example, in the almost-9 minute song, Moby Dick, a weird filler of bongos and other drums take a good portion of the middle of the song. Don’t get me wrong, it’s amazing, but I just feel as if it can be altered to keep the audience’s attention.

Furthermore, can Robert Plant’s vocals get anymore chilling and amazing? I mean if you don’t get goosebumps when listening to him, you may be hearing wrong. “Ramble On” is a great example of Plant’s vocal range and power, however,  each member seems to serve the music genre beautifully with their instruments. So give this album a listen, for I assure you you’d like it, or at least respect it for its influence on music to come.

Kaden Fields, Staff Reporter

Hi, my name is Kaden Fields and I’m a Sophomore at Washington High School. My position on surveyor is staff reporter. Aside from Surveyor I run Cross country and are involved with other activities at Wash. My passions are music, writing, art, and sleeping. I joined surveyor this year in hopes I entertain, inspire, and inform people of things happening in our society.