Mollie Tibbetts Recap

Poweshiek County Sheriff's Office

Poweshiek County Sheriff's Office

Abby Throndson, News Editior

Family and friends of 20-year-old Mollie Tibbetts gathered August 26 in the gym of Brooklyn-Guernsey-Malcom High School in Tibbetts’ hometown of Brooklyn, Iowa for the funeral of the University of Iowa student, whose missing case made national news for weeks. Tibbetts went missing July 18 while going on an evening run in the rural farm town. Police were led to her body on August 21, in a cornfield in Poweshiek County.

Tibbetts was dog-sitting that night and went on her nightly run, when she went missing. No one knew she was missing until her co-worker called her boyfriend, Dalton Jack, the next day and told Jack that Tibbetts never showed up for work. After talking to Tibbetts’ family, Jack confirmed that Mollie hadn’t been seen since the night before.

On August 5, a body was found about 100 miles away from where Tibbetts disappeared. Her parents were notified, but the body turned out to be 20-year-old, Sadie Alvarado, who jumped out of her boyfriend’s car after they got into an argument. Tibbett’s parents had to inform press that the body wasn’t their daughters, after word got out that a body had been found.

Her missing persons case had been long, maybe the longest in the area. Police were led to the body by Cristhian Bahena Rivera, 24, an undocumented immigrant from Mexico, who abducted and killed Tibbetts on the night she disappeared. Rivera told police that he had seen Tibbetts running on the side of the road that night. He then proceeded to get out of his car and run next to her. After she threatened to call the police, he claims to have “blocked” his memory when he got angry.

Rivera says that he couldn’t remember anything until he got to an intersection, when he pulled into a farm driveway and discovered Tibbetts in the trunk of his black Chevy Malibu, with blood on her head. He then dragged her into the field and left her there, until he lead authorities to the field on August 21.

Abby Throndson, News Editor

Hey, I'm Abby Throndson. I'm a sophomore and the News Editor. This is my second year of being on the Surveyor, first year being News Editor. I'm also involved...