Miguel’s Top 10 Steam Games from his Steam Library!

Miguel Jacobo, Webmaster

In this list, I shall compile 10 of the best games I own on Steam and list their price, give a general description about them from their Steam pages, and talk about why I think they’re the best. They will only be organized by how much I’ve played the games, not by which one is best.

In order to make the descriptions easier to understand, I shall also include a jury-rigged vocabulary list of gamer terms and genres for your personal use.

Gamer Vocabulary:

Sandbox Games: Games where you’re dropped off into a world with little to no direction with the ability to do whatever you want to do.

2.5D: Flat dimension with an interactable background.

Mods: Modifications to the game that aren’t originally from the creators, typically made by the community that plays the game.

DLC: Downloadable Content. Adds more to the game, typically for a price. Unlike Mods, DLCs are made by the game creators.

Roguelike: Games that randomly create environments, events, etc. Everytime you play it, something different will likely happen.

FPS: First person shooter. Games where you pick up a gun and shoot things. Pretty simple gameplay.

1. Terraria – $9.99

Steam Description:

“Dig, Fight, Explore, Build: The very world is at your fingertips as you fight for survival, fortune, and glory. Will you delve deep into cavernous expanses in search of treasure and raw materials with which to craft ever-evolving gear, machinery, and aesthetics? Perhaps you will choose instead to seek out ever-greater foes to test your mettle in combat? Maybe you will decide to construct your own city to house the host of mysterious allies you may encounter along your travels?”

“In the World of Terraria, the choice is yours!”

“Blending elements of classic action games with the freedom of sandbox-style creativity, Terraria is a unique gaming experience where both the journey and the destination are completely in the player’s control. The Terraria adventure is truly as unique as the players themselves!”

“Are you up for the monumental task of exploring, creating, and defending a world of your own?”

My Description:

This is one of the games that originally was used as inspiration for the popular Minecraft and as such, you can get a general idea of what it’s about. Limited to 2.5D graphics and a limited world, the game is more constraining than Minecraft, but this allows a person to avoid getting overwhelmed very quickly. A good game for multiplayer or singleplayer, Terraria has always been fun to play. Another positive about it is how easy it is to get mods for it, adding even more to the game!

1. Civilization IV – $59.99

Steam Description:

“Originally created by legendary game designer Sid Meier, Civilization is a turn-based strategy game in which you attempt to build an empire to stand the test of time. Become Ruler of the World by establishing and leading a civilization from the Stone Age to the Information Age. Wage war, conduct diplomacy, advance your culture, and go head-to-head with history’s greatest leaders as you attempt to build the greatest civilization the world has ever known.”

Civilization VI offers new ways to engage with your world: cities now physically expand across the map, active research in technology and culture unlocks new potential, and competing leaders will pursue their own agendas based on their historical traits as you race for one of five ways to achieve victory in the game.”

My Description:

The series of Civilization games has always captured the hearts of gamers that are fans of strategy or history. In fact, the Civilization series oddly enough helped me out when it came to taking AP European History as it taught me about different nations, different technologies, different policies, etc. Fun and oddly educational, this game will always hold a place dear to my heart, and you may enjoy it too!

1. XCOM – $29.99

Steam Description:

“XCOM: Enemy Unknown will place you in control of a secret paramilitary organization called XCOM. As the XCOM commander, you will defend against a terrifying global alien invasion by managing resources, advancing technologies, and overseeing combat strategies and individual unit tactics.”

“The original XCOM is widely regarded as one of the best games ever made and has now been re-imagined by the strategy experts at Firaxis Games. XCOM: Enemy Unknown will expand on that legacy with an entirely new invasion story, enemies and technologies to fight aliens and defend Earth.”

“You will control the fate of the human race through researching alien technologies, creating and managing a fully operational base, planning combat missions and controlling soldier movement in battle.”

My Description:

XCOM has been around for many years now with the original game being made in 1994. As such, it’s had many years to improve as it went along, having reboots, DLCs, sequels, etc. Full of alien blasting, defending the planet, and making tough decisions that could lead to an amazing victory or a crushing defeat, XCOM will always give you an exciting, thrilling story to tell people. Plus there’s character customization, so you can put anyone you want into the game!

1. Borderlands 2 – $19.99

Steam Description:

“A new era of shoot and loot is about to begin. Play as one of four new vault hunters facing off against a massive new world of creatures, psychos and the evil mastermind, Handsome Jack. Make new friends, arm them with a bazillion weapons and fight alongside them in 4 player co-op on a relentless quest for revenge and redemption across the undiscovered and unpredictable living planet.”

My Description:

Though the game description won’t outright say it, Borderlands 2 is an amazing, hilarious adventure through a dangerous but comical world. Built for multiplayer but still fun for singleplayer, the game outperforms its predecessor and its sequel (or as it calls it, its pre-sequel). A unique thing about the game is the weaponry in it as it is randomly generated, allowing for the ability to obtain ridiculously powerful weapons! Big numbers, big fun!

1. FTL – $9.99

Steam Description:

“In FTL you experience the atmosphere of running a spaceship trying to save the galaxy. It’s a dangerous mission, with every encounter presenting a unique challenge with multiple solutions. What will you do if a heavy missile barrage shuts down your shields? Reroute all power to the engines in an attempt to escape, power up additional weapons to blow your enemy out of the sky, or take the fight to them with a boarding party? This “spaceship simulation roguelike-like” allows you to take your ship and crew on an adventure through a randomly generated galaxy filled with glory and bitter defeat.”

My Description:

FTL is generally an amazing game and one of the first ones I’ve ever bought on steam. Captaining a ship to save the galaxy, you fight battle to battle, making choices on what to do each time you jump (travel) from solar system to solar system. Each choice could be one of life and death, and a fight is always right around the corner. Beating that game is one of the best feelings ever due to its difficulty. That alone is enough of a reason for me to recommend it.

1. Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War – $12.99

Steam Description:

“Prepare yourself for the grim, dark future of the 41st millennium, where alien races battle mankind for galactic domination in a universe of unending war.

Personalize your armies with a revolutionary unit customization tool that gives you the ability to choose your armies insignias, banners, squad colors and names.”

My Description:

Warhammer 40K is a brilliant strategy game akin to that of Command & Conquer, allowing you to build armies and bases to crush your opponent. Its many races and detailed story allow for you to be immersed into a universe full of war. Not just limited to one game, the entire Warhammer 40K universe has dozens of games all originating from the original game, a tabletop board game for Warhammer 40K. Being able to customize your army is also a fun thing to do!

1. RimWorld – $29.99

Steam Description:

A sci-fi colony sim driven by an intelligent AI storyteller. Inspired by Dwarf Fortress and Firefly. Generates stories by simulating psychology, ecology, gunplay, melee combat, climate, biomes, diplomacy, interpersonal relationships, art, medicine, trade, and more.

My Description:

If you want to build a story, manage a small group of people, and build a settlement on a distant, violent, unfair world, this is the game for you! Though that description paints it out to be a difficult game, overcoming the obstacles the game throws at you just provides you with a better story to tell people! Build a settlement that shines as a beacon of hope, or create a slave encampment and get rich as you exploit the land! It’s up to you to decide what your story will be!

1. Left 4 Dead 2 – $19.99

Steam Description:

“Set in the zombie apocalypse, Left 4 Dead 2 (L4D2) is the highly anticipated sequel to the award-winning Left 4 Dead, the #1 co-op game of 2008.”

“This co-operative action horror FPS takes you and your friends through the cities, swamps and cemeteries of the Deep South, from Savannah to New Orleans across five expansive campaigns.”

“You’ll play as one of four new survivors armed with a wide and devastating array of classic and upgraded weapons. In addition to firearms, you’ll also get a chance to take out some aggression on infected with a variety of carnage-creating melee weapons, from chainsaws to axes and even the deadly frying pan.”

“You’ll be putting these weapons to the test against (or playing as in Versus) three horrific and formidable new Special Infected. You’ll also encounter five new infected, including the terrifying Mudmen.”

“Helping to take L4D’s frantic, action-packed gameplay to the next level is AI Director 2.0. This improved Director has the ability to procedurally change the weather you’ll fight through and the pathways you’ll take, in addition to tailoring the enemy population, effects, and sounds to match your performance. L4D2 promises a satisfying and uniquely challenging experience every time the game is played, custom-fitted to your style of play.”

My Description:

Want a good old Zombie FPS game? Left 4 Dead 2 is the perfect game for you! Having all of the original things from the first Left 4 Dead, picking up Left 4 Dead 2 gives you a chance to survive a zombie filled wasteland with your friends or alone! You can even play as the zombies in one of the multiplayer modes! Who doesn’t want to try being a zombie for once!

1. Stardew Valley – $14.99

Steam Description:

“You’ve inherited your grandfather’s old farm plot in Stardew Valley. Armed with hand-me-down tools and a few coins, you set out to begin your new life. Can you learn to live off the land and turn these overgrown fields into a thriving home? It won’t be easy. Ever since Joja Corporation came to town, the old ways of life have all but disappeared. The community center, once the town’s most vibrant hub of activity, now lies in shambles. But the valley seems full of opportunity. With a little dedication, you might just be the one to restore Stardew Valley to greatness!”

My Description:

A simple farming, life simulator. A very good game for a nice chill time. Where other games go for excitement and violence, Stardew Valley goes the opposite and gives you the chance to live an alternate life! Farming, fishing, mining, all of these wait you in the game! You can even get married to some of the towns residents! If you’ve ever been stressed out in your life, this game is a great way to relax and relieve that stress.

1. Risk of Rain – $9.99

Steam Description:

“Risk of Rain is an action platformer with roguelike elements. With permanent death as a primary feature, players will have to play their best to get as far as possible. Fight on a mysterious planet with randomly spawning enemies and bosses, either alone or with 3 friends in online co-op.”

My Description:

A fun yet occasionally infuriating game, Risk of Rain is a fun Roguelike that’s even better with multiplayer (when you can get it to work). A difficult game, beating it gives you a feeling like never before! Even when you beat it though, there’s even more to unlock and discover as you play it again and again! A great game and even better with friends, Risk of Rain is a fun game with a mysterious story that only you can try to piece together from descriptions of items and enemies in the game.