Pet Palooza

Abby Throndson, Staff Reporter

This Saturday, May 12, a new event is coming to Washington High School. Pet Palooza is an event organized by one of the Project-Based Learning (PBL) groups in Carrie Tinkham’s Advanced Language Arts 9 classes. The carnival will be at Wash in the New Gym and the south parking lot, from 11am-6pm. All proceeds will go to the Cedar Valley Humane Society (CVHS).

This event is one that can support CVHS while supporting an event organized and executed entirely by a group of freshman. “There will be carnival games, a food truck, dogs, and trivia game,” said Sophia Brems, ‘21, who is one of the members of the PBL group putting on the carnival. There is no entrance fee, but tickets to play games and to do activities will be given out in different amounts based on what people donate.

The topic of pet cruelty was one chosen by the entire class but then assigned to the group. Although they had no say in what topic the received, the group took the idea and ran with it. Many of the students became more passionate about the cause when researching and planning Pet Palooza. “(We are doing this) to help the humane society get supplies they need,” says Isabella Blocklinger, ‘21. “And to help injured animals that suffer from abuse.”

The Cedar Valley Humane Society was founded in 1901, to help find abandoned or abused animals new, better homes and families. The organization is dedicated to building lasting relationships between humans and animals, and inspiring compassion for all living things. CVHS serves Linn County and other Eastern Iowan areas. The main building is located at 7411 Mt. Vernon Road in Cedar Rapids. “We (CVHS) attend events to allow to get to know us and our mission,” said Ken Allers, the Community Programs Manager at the humane society. “The more people that know about us, the more successful we are.”

For those not able to make it but still want to support the cause, there are many other ways to help animals in need. Donating money, whether it be one-time or monthly, can always help, as well as volunteering. Head over to the Cedar Valley Humane Society web page and social media pages to learn more about CVHS and volunteering or donating. All other questions can be answered by Blocklinger, Brems, as well as the rest of their PBL group.

Abby Throndson, News Editor

Hey, I’m Abby Throndson. I’m a sophomore and the News Editor. This is my second year of being on the Surveyor, first year being News Editor. I’m also involved in the Warrior Womens Swim Team, drama, speech, and show choir. If you see me in the hall sometime, come say “Hi,” I don’t bite.

1 Comment

One Response to “Pet Palooza”

1. Honore on May 11th, 2018 3:19 pm

Are we allowed to bring our own dogs?

*

• LOCAL EVENTS

Red Cedar Chamber Orchestra

• Pet Palooza

FEATURES

2018 Senior Prom Photos

• Pet Palooza

District Art Show Slide Show

• Pet Palooza

LOCAL EVENTS

Student Volunteers at the Flood

• Pet Palooza

LOCAL EVENTS

Lack of Janitors

• Pet Palooza

Surveying Cedar Rapids Episode One: Cedar Rapids Comic Con

• Pet Palooza

LOCAL EVENTS

Hawkeye Downs Bingo

• Pet Palooza

LOCAL EVENTS

Fire & Ice Festival

• Pet Palooza

LOCAL EVENTS

“Christmas at the Downs” Sale

• Pet Palooza

LOCAL EVENTS

Live Music by Blues Jam

Pet Palooza