Show Choir Nationals

Sophie Lindwall, Staff Reporter

Wash’s show choir, Momentum, just placed 6th at the 2018 Show Choir Nationals in Nashville, Tennessee. Their band won Outstanding Combo during preliminaries, and Carrington Moore, ’18, won Best Male Performer during both preliminaries and finals.  Momentum has a tradition of going to Show Choir Nationals every other year since 2014, and it is not uncommon for them to place very well.

Momentum’s show included the songs “Fantasy,” “Fly Like an Eagle,” Cells, Planets,” “Well Run Dry,” “We Can Party,” and “Atom Bomb.”  Soloists included Regan Heying, Raegen Martin, and Scott Griffin, all ’18.

MoBand has been awarded once before at nationals, in 2014.

“As the director of MoBand, it means the world for MoBand to be recognized with that national honor. Not only does it fill me with pride for the students, but it also validates something that everyone in Wash Vocal Music knows: Wash has not only the best show choir band in Iowa, but one of the best in the entire nation. As this is the second time Moband has been awarded, it shows a standard of excellence that MoBand lives up to every year. That starts and ends with the student players,” said Ben Schmidt, the director of MoBand.

The students in Momentum had been practicing since the summer, as well as during and after school. Students would also attend hour-long dance rehearsals during the weekends. Momentum participated in four other competitions in the MidWest this year. Placing 6th at Nationals was the “cherry on top,” according to Ally Bemus, ‘19.

Tennessee Show Choir Nationals are held at the Grand Ole Opry, a stage where many well-known artists such as Dolly Parton and Elvis Presley have performed.

“It was really fun to finally perform someplace not in the MidWest with a group that, for a lot of us, has been together for four to seven years. It’s just really kind of crazy that that was our capstone performance. That was such a good way to end our season- on the Grand Ole Opry Stage,” said Emily Nelson, ‘18.

Judges also pick their favorite male performer, and this year it went to Carrington Moore, ‘18, twice. Moore blew the judges away with his stage presence in both preliminaries and finals, which got him a $1000 scholarship to Show Choir Camps of America this summer.

“I felt honored that I received the title of Best Male Performer at Nationals. Winning the award was, and still is, so surreal.  My hard work definitely paid off after doing this (show choir) for seven years. This is something that I will always remember and something that will always be near my heart. I will cherish it forever,’’ said Moore.

With Outstanding Combo, Best Male Performer and 6th place overall, it was definitely a successful year of show choir for Momentum.

“ Nationals was a super cool experience, and we’re super proud of what we did. It was nice to see our hard work and all our time and effort pay off,” said Nathaniel Burke, ‘18.

Sophie Lindwall, Profiles Editor

Hey friends! I’m Sophie and I’m profiles editor. I’m a sophomore and this is my 2nd year on Surveyor woot woot!! I enjoy eating cold quesadillas!