Quinn Wilcox: Our Glorious Leader

Sophie Lindwall, Staff Reporter

On Monday, March 26, Wash held their annual “Mr. Washington” competition after having it postponed due to snow. “Mr. Washington” is essentially a beauty pageant for senior boys. Teachers in the audience judge the first few rounds and the final winner is declared by the audience. The different rounds include a catwalk, a talent, “Are You Smarter than a Freshman” and an obstacle course. This year, Wash crowned Quinn Wilcox as their chosen king.

“I didn’t expect to win. I just wanted to have some fun, be goofy and most importantly play some ‘Guitar Hero,’” said Wilcox.

Wilcox strutted his stuff during the catwalk to “Safety Dance” dressed as a pilgrim. For his talent, he played “Guitar Hero”- still dressed as a pilgrim. “Living on a Prayer” was his song of choice. It gets better- Wilcox slowly increased difficulty until he was in expert mode. The crowd went wild.

“Backstage I had planned to play “Bohemian Rhapsody” on “Guitar Hero Warriors of Rock,” but then the disc broke, so I had to put in “Guitar Hero World Tour.” Five minutes before I went on I still had to pick a song, so I chose “Living on a Prayer” because it’s a crowd pleaser,” said Wilcox

Wilcox passed the “Are You Smarter than a Freshman” portion of the competition with ease, as he had remembered most of the questions from his freshman year. Then came the obstacle course: the last five contestants had to spin around five times, cross a gymnastics beam down and back without falling, scooter up and down the aisles of the auditorium, throw a sack into a bucket and lastly pop three balloons with their butts.

“It was pretty tough. I almost fell off that beam a few times. It took me a while to make the sack into the bucket- that was pretty hard,” said Wilcox.

Thomas Corbett was runner-up, and Hunter Blake placed third.

“Over the last four years Wash has been a place filled with amazing people, and I’m so grateful that I’ve been able to make connections with a lot of them. Being Mr. Washington is a fun, and goofy honor and I have the connections I’ve made throughout my time here to thank for that,” said Wilcox.