Stress in High School

Abby Throndson, Staff Reporter

Homework, it’s the worst, that is something that can be agreed upon. Most high schoolers have hours of homework per night, and it can really stress them out. A Stanford researcher found out that over two hours of homework per night might be counterproductive to homework’s real purpose.
   Being a freshman, I have an hour to an hour and a half of homework every night. I can’t complain about my homework load compared to people taking a bunch of AP classes, but I still get stressed about balancing my homework and extracurriculars. I’m in swimming, show choir, and drama and speech here at Wash, and I have at least one extracurricular going on every season.
One major factor is that a lot of students have their own jobs. I’ve known kids who work for a few hours after school, then stay up until midnight doing homework, then wake up to teachers telling them to get more sleep at night. As we get older, we have to balance the responsibilities, but that can be hard. Not everyone wants to choose between making money by working a few hours or studying.
There is no way that teachers would give us less homework, but there are a few helpful tips for managing time. First, get a good night’s sleep. Resting can lead to better problem solving the next day when stressed, and, it’s good for our health.
Make a list of what homework needs to be done and when, I prefer to use a weekly planner so whenever I get homework, I pull my planner out and write the assignment down. Prioritizing homework assignments can be helpful in reducing stress. For example, doing the math assignment that is due tomorrow, then taking on the reading and notetaking homework due in a week or two. Prioritizing ensures that all homework gets done by the due date.
Lastly, utilize Warrior time. We have been granted this excellent 25-minute block in our day. Instead of playing Fortnite or talking to friends, talk to the teacher whose lesson wasn’t clear or do part of an assignment, so that it doesn’t have to be done at home.

Abby Throndson, News Editor

Hey, I'm Abby Throndson. I'm a sophomore and the News Editor. This is my second year of being on the Surveyor, first year being News Editor. I'm also involved...