New Coaches

Jayla Johnson and Abby Throndson

Meet Coach Jacob Johnson. The new head coach of the varsity girls’ soccer team. He comes from seven years of coaching, this being his eighth. From being involved with various club soccer teams such as Cedar Rapids Soccer Association, Midwest Soccer Club, and FC United. He has also coached at Washington High School for seven seasons next to coach Graham and also coached at Coe college with coach Homer Screws. He was a very well accomplished soccer player all throughout both high school and college and even signed with Cedar Rapids Rampage, a professional team.  “I chose to become a coach for soccer because it is a universal language across so many different languages and cultures around the world.”

Soccer has allowed Johnson to travel to several places both nationally and internationally. He has met different people from all different walks of life from places all around the world. Johnson takes great pride in providing an opportunity for athletes to experience the same joy that he knows soccer can bring to a person’s life.

Meet Coach Andy O’Neill. He is getting done with his first year of college and will be working with Nathan Price to coach the freshman baseball team. He volunteered to help the freshman team as a senior last year. O’Neill has also done private baseball lessons for younger players in the past. He has played baseball since he was in elementary school and played for the Wash team from his 8th-grade year until his junior year when he was injured. “Baseball was my first love. It was such a big part of my life that I couldn’t give it up after high school.” O’Neill is really excited to coach the team and make a difference in young players lives.

Meet Coach Boris Licona. He is the new men’s JV2 soccer coach. Licona has been playing soccer since he was two. He grew up in Honduras, where soccer is the main sport and most children dream of being a professional soccer player. He moved to Cedar Rapids in 2010 and graduated from Wash in 2013. He was coached by John Graham at Wash for three years and at Mount Mercy for five years. “He (Graham) was my friend, mentor, and coach ever since I moved to Cedar Rapids.” Graham then talked to Licona about the opportunity of being the JV soccer coach, and he loved the idea of coaching at Wash.

Meet Coach Amy Bautista. She will be the new softball coach for the Warriors this summer season. During her softball playing days, Bautista was a five-year letter winner from Jesup High School and then played for North Iowa Area Community College (NIACC) and at Buena Vista University. She has previously been the Head Coach at the North Linn and Dunkerton high schools. Bautista has also assisted at Eastern Illinois University, Starmont and other various middle and junior high schools. Softball is her passion, and she is ready to bring her passion up to the plate and coach Warrior softball.

Meet Coach Nathan Price. He is the new freshman baseball coach at Wash and also one of the JV coaches for the soccer team. He used to coach baseball for West Liberty HS and for the Trojan Club in Iowa City. This will be his first year coaching soccer. Price was involved with baseball in high school and went on to play on in college at Triton. He also played at Iowa and then signed with the Chicago Cubs, then later playing in the minor leagues in Peoria and Daytona. He chose to help coach with Johnson to share his experience in athletics. With baseball, he decided to coach here so that he could spread the knowledge he has gained in the sport.

Meet Coach Willis Harte. He is the new coach for the women’s track team. He has been an assistant at Wash since 2002 with the boy’s team and the head coach for the cross country team as well. Harte was involved in track in high school and college where he specialized in distance events. It all started with his grandfather being the coach at Wisconsin since then, Harte loves track and field in fact, he has watched every summer Olympics since 1972 Munich games.

Meet Brandon Hornback. He is the new head coach for the women’s tennis team. Hornback has been coaching for the last five years. He is an assistant tennis professional at Westfield Club and he used to coach at Stanford University through Nike Tennis Camps. Hornback has played tennis since 3rd grade and played at Marion High School. He was a state doubles runner up with his partner.  Hornback also played collegiately at Wartburg college for 4 years and, continues to play competitive tennis in tournaments around the state through the USTA.  He chose to coach this sport because tennis has always been a big part of his life and it has meant a lot to him as he has grown up with it. Hornback hopes to pass on some of the joy he has with tennis to his players.