Affirmative Action

Tyler McGuire, Staff Reporter

The recent story about Landon Stantel’s battle over discrimination of LGBTQ students at Xavier High School spoke to me in a way that made me think of all the discrimination that goes on in our world today. To be honest with all of you, I actually think we do a pretty decent job of calling out discrimination and trying to eliminate it. However, there is one type that everyone seems to turn a blind eye to: Affirmative Action.

Affirmative Action is the active practice of ensuring employment and educational opportunities to minority groups and women, who have been discriminated against in the past. Now, this seems like a semi-logical idea, but I have problems with the way it’s implemented.

When those minorities or women are given a position or a scholarship over a white or Asian student simply because of their race, there is clearly a problem. It is completely unethical, and anyone who finds it acceptable is misguided and racist.

A study from Princeton University found that Asian students have the “greatest disadvantage in admissions compared to other racial/ethnic groups” due to affirmative action. The study said that “being Asian is comparable to a loss of 50 SAT points.

Let’s take a look back at discrimination of black people. Slavery is one of the worst things you can do to a person because what is a man if he’s not free? Black people were able to overcome something so evil that words can’t even describe it. So now our lawmakers are saying that they need their help getting into school. That’s completely asinine.

Black people have overcome so much and aren’t getting the credit they deserve. They don’t need help from all the elitist lawmakers who really don’t care about us citizens anyways. We need to stop lowering our expectations of black people; it’s blatant racism.

Please, I ask of all of you, in the midst of all the hate in this world, to see all forms of discrimination and call it out when you see it. We are all born with an equal opportunity to pursue our talents in this country, and nobody deserves an advantage or disadvantage because of their race.

Tyler McGuire, Staff Reporter

I’m a senior and a staff reporter. I’m involved in show choir as well as concert choir, madrigals, and drama. I’m also a member of the swim and soccer team. I’m a leader in Wash’s FCA chapter. Tune in to my political podcast, “Seeing Red Through a Sea of Blue,” that I co-produce with my colleague Quinn Wilcox for debates about today’s hottest political issues.