Hole in the Wall: Miguel’s Bar and Grill

Seth Keppler, Opinions Editor

Tucked away inside a rough-faced strip mall along the pothole speckled streets of northwest Cedar Rapids sits Miguel’s Bar and Grill. This month’s hole in the wall is located at 175 Jacolyn Dr NW Cedar Rapids, and if you have the ambition to hunt this diamond in the rough down, stop in grab some superb pizza, wings, or make another selection from the plethora of hors-d’oeuvres on the menu.

The Werdo, also known as the “Weirdo” is a sandwich with a pillowy toasted French roll bun filled with warm roasted Italian beef smothered with gooey mozzarella cheese, onions, and served alongside zesty pepperoncini peppers and coleslaw. The Werdo does not have any extraordinarily “weird” toppings; nevertheless, it supplements the taste buds with warm, crispy, and comforting flavors that’ll have you grinning from ear to ear. The French roll bun is immaculately toasted leaving a crisp golden brown outside contrasted with a soft, delicate inside. The Italian beef is hardy, wholesome, and has everything to quench your meat-tooth. Normally with any kind of roast beef sandwich, an overabundance of meat will cause a dry mouth and constant chewing from the same flavor of beef. On The Werdo the flood of mozzarella that sits atop the Italian beef has just the right amount of cheesy flavor to equate the perfect beef to cheese ratio. Even then, if the simple taste of beef and cheese bores your dictatorial taste buds, combine a bite of the pepperoncini with the sandwich for a spicy and zesty flavor that blends superbly with the hardy flavors of the Werdo. Or, if spicy peppers aren’t your thing, their coleslaw has the same effect. A small bite of coleslaw and the crunchy refreshing taste will bring your taste buds back to their normal state.

Their pizza is another one of the many entrees that surpass expectations. In my opinion, their pizza is most comparable to that of Zoey’s Pizzeria; it has thick golden brown mozzarella cheese, a sweet and tangy tomato sauce, and a diverse selection of toppings from sauerkraut to classic pepperoni. The crust has a doughy consistency with a perfect wholesome flavor that compliments every ingredient of the pizza. Amongst the many great pizzerias of Cedar Rapids, Miguel’s Bar and Grill undeniably deserves some recognition.

Miguel’s is another great example of the classic cliche to never judge a book by its cover. It may not look the most inviting and cozy from the outside, but inside you can always expect great service, smiling faces, and comforting food.