Hole In The Wall: The Map Room

Seth Keppler, Opinions Editor

On the outside, it looks like a shy, four-cornered, shanty pub, but on the inside, The Map Room is an outlandish restaurant with a whimsical style. Unlike your average burger joint, The Map Room serves gourmet burgers with heaps of toppings. Each item on the menu has its own one-of-a-kind exquisite flavor, and if you’re accustomed to the average joe patty, cheese ketchup, and bun type of burger The Map Room may not be for you.

The one prominent feature of The Map Room is its central theme, maps. The interior is decorated with a zillion maps from maps of the original thirteen British colonies to maps of the Bahamas. There are old maps, new maps, big maps, little maps, and even a globe. The dark wood floors and lighting also gives off the vibe of a smooth jazz cafe which many locals would call, “cool.”

Piled high with pulled pork, sprinkled with french fried onions, pickles, doused with their homemade BBQ sauce, and completed with American cheese and juicy beef patty, The Memphis is a burger that packs a flavorful punch of BBQ taste in a way unknown to the traditions of the old books of barbeque. The sweet flavors of the homemade BBQ sauce tag team with those of the delicious pulled pork and elbow drop your taste buds from the top rope. The sour acidity from the two pickles dances with the sweetness of the pulled pork makes a lovely couple. The patty of the burger and cheese bring a classic American flavor that surprisingly stays present underneath the mountain of pulled pork and homemade sauce. The french fried onions also provide an excellent crispy texture that crunches giving your mouth a break from the immensity of chewing from the pulled pork. And may I recommend getting french fries as a side, their crispness and salty flavor are always a classic side for a great burger.

The atmosphere is noisy yet relaxing, and depending on which time you go, a little cramped. Nevertheless, The Map Room provides excellent food and quality service. Exotic entrees pack flavors from all around the world, and with the many maps plastered and framed about the walls will make you feel like an explorer.

Seth Keppler, Opinions Editor/Graphics Editor
I am a Junior, and the opinions editor. I enjoy long walks on the beach, I love sea turtles, I play soccer, golf, and I love to eat food!