WLP Nationally Recognized

WLP's recent 'The Unfortunate Mr. Farrows' and 2017 issue of 'Fingerprints.'

Quinn Wilcox

Quinn Wilcox

Abby Throndson, Staff Reporter

The Washington Literary Press has found out that they won awards from the 2016-2017 school year. WLP is an extracurricular student group that is dedicated to publishing poetry, prose, and art. The magazine is advised by David Duer, an English teacher here at Washington.

It features student’s work in four publications of ‘The Unfortunate Mr. Farrows’ and one culminating issue of ‘Fingerprints.’ “I joined WLP because it had an amazing group of minds that I wanted to be a part of,” said Caitlin Sievers, ‘18.

The group also sponsors PAM slam, an event that showcases a student poetry slam, as well as students’ musical and artistic talents, that takes place in early December.

The 2017 Fingerprints edition won ‘recommended for the highest award’ by the National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE), through its program to Recognize Excellence in Student Literary Magazines. Fingerprints was also awarded the ‘first place award’ from the American Scholastic Press Association (ASPA).

Sievers received an award for ‘best art’ in a piece called ‘Hijab Woman’ which was published in the awarded ‘Fingerprints’ issue. She was one of the 11 featured artists across the country recognized for their outstanding art pieces. “(I was) extremely surprised,” said Sievers. “I entered the piece for ‘Fingerprints’ last year, and when I found out I had won the award, I had almost forgotten about it. I was super happy and honored.”

The NCTE is an organization made up of English teachers around the country, while the ASPA’s panel of judges is made up of educators who have had experience advising these types of publications before. “It allows us to compare ourselves to other high school literary magazines from across the country,” said Duer. “The ASPA award comes with a detailed score sheet and a narrative critique; it often gives us good ideas of how to improve the quality of the magazine.”

The members last year are proud of what they have accomplished and what they will accomplish in the future. “It is a nice recognition of the hard work last year’s staff put into the magazine,” said Duer.