Gun Violence In America: We Are The Solution

Isabel Hogg and Megan Mineart, both '18, hold protest signs during the walkout on Wednesday Feb 21.

Aamillaya Green

Aamillaya Green

Quinn Wilcox, News Editor

On Wednesday, February 21st, many students here at Wash were involved in a school walkout in response to the school shooting in Parkland, Florida on February 14th.  Not every student involved walked out for the same reason.  Students walked in support of restrictive gun legislation, to pay respect, and to demand change.  I’m writing as student who walked out while still supporting the 2nd amendment.

I tend to become confused by those who believe that any attempt to make the process of obtaining a firearm more difficult is an unacceptable infringement of the constitution.  Every aspect of the right to property comes with some restrictions.  There are governmental regulations on almost every aspect of our lives, and the same should be true for firearms.  

I sympathize with both sides of this complicated issue.  I disagree with those who say that weapons should be something lawmakers aren’t allowed to touch.  I also disagree with those who believe that a complete and universal ban is the answer.  We have to be willing to compromise with one another if we want to actually bring about change.

The current movement of young people taking a stand for their beliefs is very important.  For a very long time, the young voter block has been treated as an unreliable source of votes for politicians, and rightfully so.  Young people vote at significantly lower rates than older voting brackets according to the United States census.  This has to change if we want to make an impact on our future.  If we show up to vote, politicians will be forced to listen to us if they wish to be re-elected.  This is how we make young people one of the most reliable and influential voting blocks in the nation.

The future generation believes that doing nothing is not good enough.  We believe that compromise is possible in politics and that’s what we are asking our representatives to do.  Some people believe that to participate in and sympathize with a movement that is against gun violence, you must also be against guns.  I know I don’t speak for myself alone when I say that this is not true.  I believe that it’s time to take a look at the way the United States of America treats the process of acquiring a firearm.  There is room for everybody in this discussion.

The discussion our country is having with itself right now is extremely important.  We have to come together as one country to solve the issue.  Those who want gun control are not socialists waiting to impose their tyranny upon you.  Those who enjoy freedom with their firearms are not the moral equivalent to those who have committed unspeakable acts of violence with their firearms.  Everybody is necessary to create a solution. Polarization and generalizations only delay the solution.

I’m proud of my generation, and I’m proud of the America we will create together.