Homesick Hockey Players

TJ Walsh with his host family.

TJ Walsh with his host family.

Photo courtesy of TJ Walsh

Photo courtesy of TJ Walsh

TJ Walsh with his host family.

Becca Turnis, Web Editor

Every year a handful of new senior boys enter Washington High School from across the country. They’re generally quiet, reserved, and you’ll never see them after fourth hour. That is unless you go down to the Ice Arena. They’re the Cedar Rapids Roughriders hockey players, here to play with the team and continue on to college hockey and, hopefully, the National Hockey League.

Wash has three student Roughriders this year, #8 Harry Roy, #18 Josh Bohlin, and #19 TJ Walsh, all forwards, all ’18. The boys live with host families in the Cedar Rapids area, and take classes at Wash in the morning before going to practices and games. “It’s my first year with the team and it’s been going great so far. [My host family has] been awesome to me. They’ve been housing kids for 14 years now, so they know how to do it, and they treat me awesome. It’s great to have them around. They’re very supportive,” said Bohlin.

Life with a host family can be a significant change. “It’s different. It takes some adjusting. You kinda have to learn how to be more independent and do things on your own, but it’s nice to be around all your teammates and live with some of your teammates,” said Walsh.

Some of the players know what it’s like to be far from home. “I would say [my year has] gone pretty smooth so far. Last year I went to a prep school, so I also lived away. I’m kinda used to it, but it’s good to always be around the guys and build a lot of chemistry,” said Roy.

With Roy and Walsh both being from the Boston area, they don’t get to see their actual families much. “Usually they’ll come out and visit us two or three times a year, and then we go home on Christmas, and we’re home all summer as well,” said Walsh.

Bohlin has it a little easier with his family only being four hours away in Wisconsin. “Once every three or four weeks [my family will] come to a game. It’s pretty far, but sometimes they’ll make the drive,” said Bohlin.

All three boys have big plans for the future. Walsh and Bohlin are committed to playing Hockey at Boston College and The University of Wisconsin, respectively. Roy plans to stick around CR for another year. “The plan for me is to do this year then one more season here again next year. I’ll take a gap year between high school and college, and then I’ll be playing at The University of Maine in 2019,” said Roy.

Be sure to check out the Roughriders this year and say hi when you see Walsh, Bohlin, and/or Roy in halls.

Becca Turnis, Web Editor/Copy Editor
I am a senior and the web editor, as well as one of the copy editors for The Surveyor. I am also the pit section leader for the Warrior Marching Band, the President of Washington’s Gay-Straight Alliance, and I am on the bowling team.