Album Review: M A N I A by Fall Out Boy

Album Artwork courtesy of DCD2 Records.

Becca Turnis, Web Editor

In a world where music trends and tastes are ever changing its hard to please everyone. But through 15 years, a long hiatus and seven albums, Chicago-based Fall Out Boy has learned they only need to satisfy themselves.

“M A  N   I    A,” Fall Out Boy’s seventh studio album, is an eclectic work of art that is hard to pin down to any one genre. While there are definite nods to Fall Out Boy’s rock roots, there are also dashes of pop, hip-hop, reggae, and gospel. Almost anyone could find a song to like off this album.

As confirmed by bassist and lyricist Pete Wentz, the digital tracklisting for “M A  N   I    A” is wrong so this review will go off the physical tracklist.

The album opens with “Stay Frosty Royal Milk Tea” an electronic-infused banger complete with an obscure reference to Tonya Harding, some inexplicable french (which could be a callback to the opening track of the band’s last album), and a long title so confusing that Wentz himself doesn’t even understand it. “Uh, Stay frosty’s like a military term that means like keep it cool but stay alert and then, like uh, I don’t really know. But royal milk tea just tastes good, and you can get it in Japan, its good, I recommend it,” Wentz said during a fan Q&A.

While the album does take some getting used to, it’s not hard to find its hidden gems. “Sunshine Riptide,” the eighth track, is a chill rock, hip-hop fusion that could easily sit alongside tracks from the band’s 2013 effort “Save Rock and Roll.” The fifth track (and single) “Wilson(Expensive Mistakes)” is a fun rock tune, with lyrics that resonate with every emo kid ever.

Despite the change in Fall Out Boy’s sound, the album is littered with callbacks to the band’s past. Fans have noted lyrical references to past fan favorites such as “20 dollar nose bleed,” “American Beauty/American Psycho,” and “Disloyal Order of Water Buffaloes.” Many fans and critics are also comparing the motivating second single “Champion” to the 2015 track “Centuries.”

In short, despite some initial questionability, “M A  N   I    A” might just be the best Fall Out Boy album yet. If you like what you hear, the band will be stopping in Des Moines on Oct. 8, at the Wells Fargo Arena.

Becca Turnis, Web Editor/Copy Editor
I am a senior and the web editor, as well as one of the copy editors for The Surveyor. I am also the pit section leader for the Warrior Marching Band, the President of Washington’s Gay-Straight Alliance, and I am on the bowling team.