Hole In The Wall: The Flying Wienie

Seth Keppler, Opinions Editor

Chicago dogs, Italian beef, and more. The Flying Wienie is a classic hole in the wall hot dog joint that has been serving great dogs in Cedar Rapids since 1999.

Equipped with an airplane theme, the interior and exterior are decked out with a multitude of model airplanes, paintings of airplanes, three arcade machines, and oodles of retro trinkets that are sure to grab your attention. As soon as you step in, an aroma of hot dogs, ribs, sausage, and various other savory scents wafts to your nostrils triggering instant mouth watering hunger for one of the best hot dogs in Cedar Rapids.

The Bacon Cheese Dog is a succulent hot dog with crispy smoked bacon,served on a pillowy bun, smothered with nacho cheese sauce and a side of homemade fries. The hot dog is marvelous, delectable, and oh so flavorful. On the first bite, it explodes hardy flavors of an authentic Chicago hot dog stand; these flavors are the perfect pair for the bacon and nacho cheese. The bacon is fried perfectly and has an astonishingly smokey flavor that couples great with zesty nacho cheese. A soft pillowy bun holds this masterpiece together and provides a delectable texture for the rest of the elements of the Bacon Cheese Dog. The french fries are a homemade wonder. Cut and fried in store, they have a perfect potato flavor that tastes natural and scrumptious at the same time. Put the fries on top of the Bacon Cheese Dog, eat it all together, and the eighth wonder of the world is created.

The Flying Wienie is an incredible hole in the wall that serves out stupendous Chicago cuisine. Their hot dogs have fantastic authentic Chicago flavors that certainly top those of previously reviewed Bigg Daddy’s, and make you want to yell out, “Da Bears.” Also with an atmosphere that sends expectations into the sky like an airplane, The Flying Wienie is a groovy place to grab a bite to eat, play some Pac-Man, or just hang out.

Seth Keppler, Opinions Editor/Graphics Editor

I am a Junior, and the opinions editor. I enjoy long walks on the beach, I love sea turtles, I play soccer, golf, and I love to eat food!