MVC Conference Swim Meet

Back to Article
Back to Article

MVC Conference Swim Meet

Swimmers warming up for practice. Photo by Abby Throndson

Abby Throndson, Staff Reporter

On Jan. 20, the Washington men’s varsity swim team competed at the Mississippi Valley Conference meet at the Linn-Mar High School aquatic center. The team scored 302 total points and finished in third place.

Cedar Falls and Washington were back and forth at first most of the meet, but in the end Iowa City West took second, pushing Washington to third by three points.”The team worked and cooperated with the problems and disadvantages we ran into,” said Ethan Ford, ‘19.

The meet started strong for the Warriors, the relay team of Kaleb Donels, ‘18, James Breitbart, ‘19, Zach Kolker, ‘19, and George Durin, ‘18, placed first in the 200 medley relay, holding off Iowa City West’s relay. Kolker and Durin go to Mt. Vernon and Xavier high schools, who have co-op share agreements with Washington because their high schools do not have swim teams.

Jeremy Throndson, ‘19, finished third in a close race of the 200-yard freestyle. Durin and Breitbart placed second and sixth in the 50-yard freestyle. Breitbart has been sitting out all of the competitive season because of a broken foot, and this was his first meet this year. “The team did outstanding,” said Breitbart, “Most of our guys got personal bests in their events.”

Conner Cruise, ‘21, is the only freshman on the varsity team and the only freshman who swam at the meet. “Everyone did pretty good,” said Cruise, “We had a lot of time drops, so that was good.”

Throndson placed second in the 500 freestyle and third along with the relay team of Durin, Breitbart, and Ford. Donels also brought home a first-place finish in the 100 backstroke. “I think I set myself up for a good end of the season,” said Donels. “While the meet didn’t finish the way we hoped, I’m excited for what’s to come.”

The Warriors finished out the meet fighting. The 400 freestyle relay, Ford, Donels, Kolker, and Throndson, finished fourth, close behind Dubuque. “We were definitely going into that meet trying to win or do as best we could,” said Ford. “We didn’t walk away with a win, but we walked away with the knowledge of us being able to do greater things come end of season.”

Abby Throndson, News Editor

Hey, I'm Abby Throndson. I'm a sophomore and the News Editor. This is my second year of being on the Surveyor, first year being News Editor. I'm also involved...