Hole in the Wall: Tornado’s Grub and Pub

"The Bigger Mac" from Tornado's Grub and Pub

Seth Keppler

Seth Keppler

Seth Keppler, Opinions Editor

Across the street from a previously reviewed hole in the wall, Little Bohemia, Tornado’s Grub & Pub looks like a hole in the wall from the outside, but on the inside is a lively pub sure to amaze.

Located at 1600 3rd St SE in Cedar Rapids, Tornado’s was named after the table football game of Foosball by the owner Tom Slaughter, who was a professional Foosball player. In Foosball, a tornado is the area of the table where the player inserts the ball, hence the name, “Tornado’s.”

Tornado’s isn’t just a bar and grill you could go to for a quick burger; there are a multitude of things to do while waiting for your food. Tornado’s has a plethora of foosball tables available for play anytime, darts board, and an array of flat-screen TVs. A charismatic and welcoming staff also contribute to the great atmosphere of the pub.

This burger joint proudly boasts, “Best Burger in 10 States!” on its menu, and it certainly lives up to the motto. The majority of the burgers on the menu are cleverly named using the Fujita scale, the scale used to measure the intensity of tornadoes, designated F1, F2, F3, and so on.

The mozzarella sticks are just fantastic. Like an appetizer from a dreamlike world, these delightful pockets of cheese have a crispy breading seasoned and fried to perfection on the outside and are wrapped around gooey mozzarella cheese to make the perfect starter to a fantastic entre.

The Bigger Mac is a tangy burger with a perfectly cooked patty, cheddar cheese, crispy lettuce, sweet tomatoes, crunchy pickles, chopped onions, mayo, and tangy 1000 island dressing served alongside seasoned french fries and a long spear pickle. The burger itself has A-1 strong American flavors that coincide harmoniously with the cheddar cheese and chopped onions. The lettuce and pickles add a nice crunchy texture which balances out from the soft but chewy texture of the burger and bun. Aside from conventional tastes, the 1000 island dressing is the cornerstone of all flavor for this burger and is the only thing that separates it from being just another burger. 1000 island dressing gives the burger a tangy and sweet Hawaiian flavor that provides freshness and a break from standard bar-food flavors. It combines perfectly with the texture of the burger, these two tastes combined to give a smorgasbord of flavors and will leave your taste buds dancing.

The french fries make the perfect side for any dish. Seasoned with salt and pepper, these fries are a crinkle-cut dream with a delectable crispy outside that will surely make your mouth water. A warm potato inside tastes pairs classically with a dollop of Heinz ketchup.

Overall Tornado’s is a great place to go to for an even better burger. With an inviting staff, great atmosphere, and plenty of options to satisfy the ever-growing American appetite be sure to make Tornado’s Grub & Pub the next stop for your next night out in Cedar Rapids.