Running Ragnar

A team of 12 runners from Wash attended a Ragnar run in August.

Photo Courtesy of Sarah Altemeier

Photo Courtesy of Sarah Altemeier

Lars Andersland, Staff Reporter

Picture this: you’ve gotten two hours of sleep in the last 24, and your legs are incredibly sore from the six miles you ran the previous day. It’s precisely 3:30 a.m. and you’re expected to run another seven miles. As you begin this arduous journey, a suspicious-looking white van starts to follow you from behind. This is Ragnar. Although every aspect of this situation seems unappealing, Ragnar provides an array of unique experiences and showcases the power of teamwork.

The first Ragnar Relay was held in 2003; 188 miles from Logan, Utah to Salt Lake City, UT. Today, Ragnar has over 25 locations throughout the United States and one in the United Kingdom. It consists of running 200 miles over the course of two days and one night. Obviously, this would be an impossible feat to accomplish alone. Two types of teams are offered: normal which consists of 12 runners and extreme which includes six runners. Distance is divided into teams, some members running longer distances than others on varying terrains (road and trail).

From Wash, a team of six girls and six guys attended a 200 mile long Ragnar from East Winona, Wisconsin to Minneapolis, Minnesota from August 18-19. Two flamboyantly decorated vans, each carrying six runners, were used for both transportation and lodging. When a runner ran a leg of the relay, there was always a van full of teammates close by for safety and motivation.

While awaiting their next chance to run, members tried to get some sleep, though it was very challenging given how high paced Ragnar is. “It’s a really crazy experience, not being able to sleep wasn’t very fun,” said Serena Eck ’18.

Don’t be deceived, Ragnar has way more ups than downs. A lot of bonding occurs between teammates throughout the experience.  “It’s a really fun experience, and you get to know new people,” said Sophie Fox ’18.

Ragnar presents something unique that can’t be experienced through a typical cross country team or running on your own.  “Running with my friends nearby at 2:30 in the morning was the best and most memorable part of my experience,” said Campbell Mitvalsky ’20

It also displays the immense power of teamwork by running 200 miles in 36 hours. Next summer, another group of runners will travel to Ragnar. Have I convinced you to join them? If you have further questions about the Ragnar experience, seek out Fox, Mitvalsky, Eck, or anyone else who ran in August.

Lars Andersland, Staff Reporter

I’m a sophomore and a staff reporter for Surveyor. I participate in show choir, Madrigals, and play soccer. I enjoy food, dogs, and the great outdoors.