Warriors on the Big Stage

Anna Kolln and Ella Wolle both '18

Anna Kolln and Ella Wolle both '18

Becca Turnis

Becca Turnis

Anna Kolln and Ella Wolle both '18

Becca Turnis, Web Editor

On Tuesday, Dec. 5, two Washington students got a fantastic opportunity. Orchestra players Anna Kolln and Ella Wolle, both ’18, played on stage with violinist Lindsey Stirling when she came to the US Cellular Center on her “Warmer in the Winter” tour.

Stirling rose to prominence with her appearance on “America’s Got Talent” and her YouTube channel with over 10 million subscribers. “Lindsey was just so nice to work with. We got to take a picture with her and meet her, and in her different videos on YouTube and stuff she seems so sweet and nice, and she really is. She’s such a genuine person so yeah that was really cool,” said Wolle.

Kolln and Wolle got to share the experience with six other orchestra members from the Cedar Rapids area. “Mr. (Andrew) Steffen was asked to choose two students. [Stirling’s team] actually chose two students from Wash, Kennedy, Jeff, and Linn-Mar… so we were chosen,” said Kolln.

The preparation for the show wasn’t as daunting as one might think. “We got the music like a week or two in advance, so I looked over it a few times. When we got there, everything was really relaxed, and we only had to run through a couple songs, then we waited for a long time, and then we performed,” said Wolle.

The concert was very different from Kolln and Wolle’s usual performances. “I’ve never been more nervous about any performance, even all-state. It was really exhilarating to be in front of so many people, that was really a great experience. I could see Lindsey dancing around and playing in front of me, it was so cool to see her up close,” said Kolln.

The show wasn’t without challenges though. “It was a lot different than anything I’ve ever done before because there were dancers whizzing by me and my music kept like flapping in the wind. Lindsey Stirling was there dancing on stage right in front of me, so I got kinda distracted by her a few times. The light show was kinda distracting too, but it was so cool, and I was so in the moment, it was awesome,” said Wolle.

About the Contributor
Becca Turnis, Web Editor/Copy Editor

I am a senior and the web editor, as well as one of the copy editors for The Surveyor. I am also the pit section leader for the Warrior Marching Band, the President of Washington’s Gay-Straight Alliance, and I am on the bowling team.