Baseball Back at State

Issac Gomez, Staff Reporter

It had been eight years since the Washington Warriors Baseball Team made it to Des Moines for the State Tournament, and this past summer the dry spell ended. The Warriors made it to state on July 26 with an impressive 24-16 record. When asked about the team’s strongest spot the Head Coach Scott Brune said, “It’s the depth we have, we have the depth for offense and pitching”.

They punched their ticket to state with a dramatic finish in their sub state game. In the last inning with the Warriors up by one, a line drive was hit to Lincoln Riley ’19, who dove for the ball. It went in his glove and out, and while he was laying on the ground he caught the ball with his bare hand, recording the out. If Riley didn’t catch the ball, the game would have been tied. A hard ground ball was hit to Brady Bunten ’18 who stopped the ball from going into the outfield, and he was able to get the out. Those two clutch plays sent the Warriors to the state tournament.

The Warriors were seeded sixth and played Iowa City West, the third seed. Brune said the team arrived in Des Moines at 11:30 am for a 5 pm game. There were four games scheduled and because of the rain every game was pushed back. The Warriors were the last game of the day, the team didn’t play until 10:40 pm and left Des Moines around 1 am. The game was on an professional field and it was a great experience. “Yeah the atmosphere was different, we’re playing on a bigger field, and it was fun playing that late at night, I’m proud of the team”, said Bunten.  

The Warriors will always look back at the summer of 2017, the year they went to state and had one of the craziest endings to a baseball game. One thing Brune could take away from this year is “the amount of work they put in, always improving every day and how everyone was dedicated to the team.”