Making Assemblies Great Again

Abby White

Students cheering during the fall sports assembly.

Quinn Wilcox, News & Multimedia Editor

If you’ve been to a Washington pep assembly before, you’ve probably realized that our most recent assembly took on a new form.  The beloved Blues Brothers were nowhere to be found and instead, a new team of determined seniors led the usual festivities.

Where were the Blues Brothers?  Mr. Witte and Mr. Lammers who have so valiantly served as the Blues Brothers and emcees of our pep assemblies for years felt it was time to retire their work and turn over the job of leading the assemblies to the students.  Coincidentally, a group of seniors had been planning ways they could make the assemblies rowdier and more involved than in years passed.

Thomas Corbett, ’18, saw that the assemblies were not as exciting as he believes they could be and he said to himself, “I’m gonna talk to the people in charge and see how we can make this better.”

He met with Chris Karamitros, ’18, Araya Dunne, ’18, Ashley Chipokas, ’18, and Drew Christensen, ’18, as well as Mr. Phillips and Mr. Mason-Marshall, who are in charge of planning pep assemblies, to make the changes.  “We met five or six times like 30 minutes each and I had some after school meetings,” Corbett said about the planning that went into the changes.

For those who have never been to an assembly at Wash before, Lammers and Witte would dress up like the Blues Brothers and come running out from the locker room tunnel during the assembly to lead the school in the class versus class games.  This role is now going to be held by seniors with a lot of class spirit.

With the addition of the spirit stick at assemblies, competition has a whole new meaning.  The class that wins the stick at the assembly earns the rights to the stick for that year and the right to adorn it with decorations.  The goal is to pass the stick on for years and years to come with each class adding their own signature and character.

“I hope the spirit continues to grow each year until our assemblies are the best,” Corbett said.  It began with the class of 2018.