Gilmore Girls – TV Show Review

Alexis Soukup

The show ended in 2007 after seven exhilarating seasons, but 2016 was graced with a Netflix original miniseries revival of the “Gilmore Girls”. This hyped the show up, with returning fans jumping with joy. So, I needed to understand the hype.

“Gilmore Girls” is a typical comedy-drama TV show so I wasn’t expecting much from the plot. But, it’s addicting and it has ruined any chance of me doing any school work this year. The plot follows the life of single mother, Lorelai Gilmore and her daughter Rory Gilmore.

The girls are so relatable. I mean everyone has an undying addiction to coffee and an obsession with cult classic movies and junk food right? They engage in a witty repartee that leaves the audience laughing and wishing they had that same relationship with their mom.

Not only do you become part of the Gilmore girls, you begin rooting for characters or seething with hate when the girls hate a certain character. For a while at the beginning you root for Lorelai and Rory’s father to become a team and love each other, but when that dream dies you realize she’s meant to be with Luke, the owner of the infamous diner. But timing is never right and it drives the audience up the wall with anticipation.

The series follows Lorelai and her efforts to open her own Inn with best friend and chef, Sookie, and Rory who suffers with boy problems and her efforts to go to an Ivy college and become the journalist of her dreams. Lorelai has a very strained relationship with her parents because she had Rory when she was 16. As the series progresses you suffer the suspense of what will happen next with Lorelai and her stressful relationship with her family.

This show lives beyond one’s expectations. Just know, it is impossible to stop watching. All seven seasons are found on Netflix as is the four episode miniseries.