Intro to Media 2016 Top 10 lists

Just before leaving for break Kyle Phillips’ Intro to Media students got together as individuals or in small groups to create top 10 lists about a wide variety of topics during 2016. Enjoy and have a happy new year.

Top NBA teams of 2016 (current season record as of Dec. 22 in parentheses) by Malik Robinson
10. Sacremento Kings (10-17)- Their highlight player is Demarcus Cousins, who averages 10.2 points per game.
9. Denver Nuggets (12-16)- Kenneth Faried averages 8.2 points per game for the Nuggets.
8. Portland Trailblazers (13-16)- Their highlight player is Mason Plumlee, who averages 7 points per game.
7. Oklahoma City Thunder (16-12)- Their highlight player is Russell Westbrook, who averages 30 points per game.
6. Memphis Grizzlies (18-11)- Their highlight player is Zack Randolph, who scores at least eight pionts per game.
5. Utah Jazz (18-10)- Their highlight player is Jordan Hayword, who averages 21.7 points per game.
4. Los Angeles Clippers (20-8)- Their highlight player is Blake Griffin, averaging 21.2 points per game.
3. Houston Rockets (21-7)- They are so good because of their highlight player, James Harden, who averages 27.8 points per game.
2. San Antonio Spurs (22-5)- They have been the most consistent team to make the playoffs in recent years.
1. Golden State Warriors (24-4)- Last season they had the most wins in the NBA with 73, breaking the Chicago Bulls previous record of 72.
Top 10 movies of 2016 by Brandon Smith
10. “Dirty Grandpa”- This is a vulgar comedy that stars Robert De Niro and Zac Efron. It is about their journey that takes place after De Niro’s wife’s death. De Niro travels around with Efron in an attempt to feel young.
9. “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows”- Based on the comic, TMNT has always been a fan favorite.
8. “The Legend of Tarzan”- Tarzan is called back to the jungle to stop the mining.
7. “Sausage Party”- This comedy is told from the perspective of food. It features the voice of almost every major name in comedy today.
6. “Hail Caesar!”- This is about a movie studio’s struggle of getting their biggest property back.
5. “Central Intelligence”- It’s about how two old high school peers are reunited by a coincidence and it turns out one is now in the CIA.
4. “Swiss Army Man”- A dark comedy about a lost man’s journey back to civilization.
3. “War Dogs”- This is a “Wolf of Wall Street” style movie about two gun runners during the Afghanistan War.
2. “Captain America: Civil War”- This is an action-packed movie about two of the Avengers, who have a disagreement about their situation.
1. “Deadpool”- This is an action-comedy and romantic-comedy about Wade Wilson, who fights for the woman he loves.
Top 10 movies of 2016 by Jordan Smalley and Honore Staff
10. “Zootopia”- This animated kids movie contains a lot of advertising, but overall has a good message for children.
9. “Batman Vs. Superman”- This D.C. Comics movie has superheroes and was popular among comic fans everywhere. It also set up Wonder Woman for future D.C. films.
8. “Moana”- A popular movie for kids, this is the newest Disney princess film.
7. “Doctor Strange”- This is another Marvel superhero film that had a large advertising budget.
6. “Captain America: Civil War”- Most Marvel fans were lined up to see this movie, which contained all of the Avengers and several new heroes to that universe.
5. “Deadpool”- Marvel didn’t expect much from this film, but it did quite well after creating an internet sensation following its release.
4. “Finding Dory”- A sequel that was over 10 years in the making, it had a very large built in crowd and opened in over 4,000 theatres opening night.
3. “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them”- This movie took place in the Harry Potter universe, so again had a large built in audience. The graphics were better than the Harry Potter films, and it provided a backstory for certain parts of those movies.
2. “Star Wars: Rogue One”- This was released on Dec. 16, but has a giant fan base as a Star Wars movie.
1.“Suicide Squad”- A lot of people went to see this film, based on D.C. Comics, when it opened, then it featured two of the top Halloween costumes of 2016 between Harley Quinn and Joker.
Top 10 Beauty Products of 2016 by Alyssa Comer, Sophie Hopkins and Destiny Wilson
10. Nars cheek palette- This offers a variety of matte blushes for any shade of skin.
9.Becca X Jaclyn Hill Champagne Pop- This offers a shimmery glow, which is very defined in photos.
8.Tarte Amazonian clay palette- This is very pigmented with a variety of neutral colors to choose from.
7. Urban Decay All Nighter spray- This spray will hold your makeup in place.
6. Laura Mercier setting powder- This will prevent your makeup from smearing until you’re ready to remove it.
5. Too Faced Sweet Peach palette- This has a pink/peachy color theme and soft colors with good pigment, Another plus, it smells like fruit!
4. Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid lipstick- Its “not sticky” formula lasts as long as it claims, which is longer than most brands.
3. Morphe 350 palette- This has a great color scheme and pigment, it also doesn’t crease.
2. Kylie Jenner Lip Kit- There are many options to choose from with this brand, and they have a good formula. It is long lasting because it is matte.
1. Anastasia Beverly Hills Glow Kit- This has a long lasting, beautiful shimmer and comes in a variety of shades and colors.
Top 10 MLB moments by Isaac Gomez
10. Bartolo Colon’s Home Run- One of the most beloved players, not just for his talent, but for his character. Colon is always putting on a smile on everyone’s face when he steps on the field. He’s well known for his swing and never hitting a home run. However, that dry spell finally ended in San Diego.
9. David Ortiz Retires- Arguably the face of Boston after spending 19 years in the majors, Ortiz retired as one of the most well known in the Red Sox, up there with the likes of Ted Williams.
8. Jarrod Dyson Robs a Home Run- No one in the game thought Jarrod Dyson could catch up to the ball, let alone climb the high wall, but he surprised everyone and was nominated for best defensive play of the year after making the improbable catch.
7. Blue Jays Walk Off to advance to the ALDS- Going into extra innings, the game already had drama with fans throwing beer on the field. The only logical way for the game to end was with a walk off homer in the 11th, allowing the Blue Jays season to continue.
6. Max Scherzer gets 20 strikeouts- Only 28 games in the history of baseball have occurred when a pitcher has struck out more than 20 batters. Scherzer is the most recent, bringing the new total up to 29.
5. Ken Griffey Jr. Was Inducted into the Hall of Fame- Griffey Jr., arguably one of the best players in the MLB had injuries not plagued him throughout his career, showed that he would have passed Barry Bonds in the HR record, PED free. He was acknowledged by baseball with an induction into Cooperstown.
4. Rajai Davis’ Game Seven Tying Home Run- Aroldis Chapman is in the top three of best closers in the game right now. So, when Davis hit a two run HR in the bottom of the eighth against Chapman to tie the game it left everyone in shock.
3. Ichiro Suzuki Hits a Triple for Hit Number 3,000- One of the most beloved players, Suzuki reached a huge milestone getting his 3,000th hit. If he hadn’t played in Japan before joining the MLB he likely would have passed Pete Rose’s all time hit record in MLB. Suzuki has in fact passed Rose in professional hits.
2. Chicago Cubs Win the World Series- 108 years of frustration is over, this could have been the top choice, but the Cubs had been expected to win it all since spring training. After a dramatic Game Seven fans’ and players’ patience finally paid off.
1.Jose Fernandez’s Sudden Death (And Dee Gordon’s Home Run)- At the young age of 24 and only three seasons into the MLB, Fernandez was already in an elite club of pitchers, but that all went away when he died in a boating accident. The game following his death Dee Gordon led off the game with a home run, crying as he rounded the bases.
Top 10 Clothing Brands of 2016 by Ellie Martens, McKenzie Todd and Alliyah Wilcox
10. Levi’s- Levi’s are most known for their stylish and quality jeans. The jeans are high quality, but also high priced. The jeans and jackets start around 50 dollars and can reach as high as 450 dollars.
9. American Eagle- This is a popular store in malls around America. Their jeans and pants are very popular, commonly worn by a lot of teens. Their women’s shirts were also very trendy this year.
8. Tommy Hilfiger- These shirts were a big hit this year. A lot of this brand can be seen throughout Dolce.
7. Forever 21- They are well known for their cute, but cheap clothing. Forever 21 has very stylish tops and pants. They are mainly known for womens’ clothing.
6. Polo- Ralph Lauren- Polo’s most commonly known products are their collared shirts, T-Shirts, and hats. The shirts come in many varieties of colors and feature their iconic logo.
5. Lulu Lemon- Lulu Lemon is a very popular and trendy brand. They are very popular for their women’s athletic clothing. Through they are quite expensive, Lulu Lemon has super cute jackets, workout pants and headbands.
4. Calvin Klein- Calvin Klein has been very popular for mens’ and womens’ underwear. Their sweatpants have also been a big hit among teens this year.
3. Victoria’s Secret Pink- During the past couple of years Pink has become a very popular brand in the U.S. Their underwear are what made them most popular and is worn by women all over the world.
2. Adidas- In 2016 Adidas popular shoes from the ‘80s and ‘90s made a comeback. The superstars are very popular among teens. They can be found in many trend stores like Urban Outfitters and Pac Sun. Their sweatshirts and sweatpants are also very popular right now.
1.Nike- In 2016 Nike has yet again been a hit brand, especially in shoes. Nike produces some of the most popular shoes among teens. Nike is also famous for clothing like sweatpants, wind breakers and hats.

Top 10 Trump quotes by Dylan Cherry

10.“Appreciate the congrats for being right on radical Islamic terrorism, I don’t want congrats, I want toughness & vigilance. We must be smart!” This was a tweet made by Donald on June 12, 2016 it almost seems like a normal tweet nothing to special until you realize that this was after the day of the Pulse Night Club shooting which was a very sensitive time.

9.“I could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn’t lose voters.” Said during a Rally in Iowa on January 23, In this quote trump states that no matter what he does he would still win

8.“She should be running.” During a Republican debate Donald Trump made this reference to Jeb Bush’s mother saying she should run because of she defended her son.

7.“Which is true, actually, I actually have low blood pressure, can you believe it? Can you believe it? I have like 100 over something. The doctor said, ‘Man you have the blood pressure of a great, great, athlete who is 20 years old. 110, I like that, because I like being a great athlete.” Said during a Connecticut rally, not doubting trump I just don’t think of him as a great athlete.

6.Happy #CincoDeMayo! The best taco bowls are made in Trump Tower Grill. I love Hispanics!” tweeted from his twitter on May 5, ironic in a form because of how he is known for some distastefulness against hispanics.

5.”Look at my African-American here!” Said in a rally during June 3 in California. This quote was used a lot and spawned oodles of internet memes

4.”And by the way, just so you know, I am the least racist person, the least racist person that you’ve ever seen, the least.” Rally in Virginia on June 10th like the Hispanic quote he isn’t exactly known for being the least person.

3.“Good news is Melania’s speech got more publicity than any in the history of politics especially if you believe that all press is good press!” Tweeted from Donald on July 20th Melania’s speech was very well known for having a lot of similarities to a speech Michelle Obama made.

2.“That could be a Mexican plane up there. They’re getting ready to attack,” Rally in New Hampshire, a quote that has a lot of things that are comedic about it, the fact that there would be a random Mexican plane attacking at that point, why it would be attacking the us of all people, and of course they are in New Hampshire which isn’t very close to Mexico.

1.“I feel like a supermodel except, like, times 10, OK? It’s true. I’m a supermodel.” Said during an Arizona Rally, the ultimate Donald Trump quote showing that he himself really does think he is a super model.