Fall Sports Preview

Back to Article
Back to Article

Fall Sports Preview

The winter season has begun and with that come a whole new roster of sports for students at Washington High school to participate in. The winter sports roster includes bowling, wrestling, men’s swimming, women’s basketball, and roughrider season. The men’s bowling coach this year is Monica Reeves.

Davin Knapp, ’17, remarked that, “Bowling practices this year are more challenging.”

Girls basketball coach Frank Howell has high hopes for this year.

“I expect excitement. I expect this to be not the biggest team, but I expect us to have as good of speed as anyone else we play, and I expect us to play smart. I see we have a collection of people, that if we find a way to work together on the court, we will find a way to beat other teams with star players and franchises,” Howell said.

They are set to have their first game in the coming few weeks.

Boys swimming is coached by Chris Cruise. Some of the team members are impressed by the speed of some of the newcomers. “I don’t know if I could even keep up with the freshman. I’m pretty sure two of them are already on varsity this year,” said Patrick Gorman, ’17.

This may calm any doubts that people have had about whether the team will take districts this year, since the team is now so strong that people are afraid of how challenging swimming will be.

Winter sports will begin competition with the girls basketball Jamboree at Kennedy High School on Nov. 20.