Warrior Manager and Former Basketball Star: Sean Harshnek

Sean standing next to a painting his brother painted in his room

2006 Special Olympics National Games in Ames, Iowa. Gold in their division.

Standing just over 6’5” tall, it’s hard to miss him at a Washington High School sporting event. Some know him as “Big Red G Force” and others know him as just “Big Sean.” Sean Harshnek, ’03, prefers the latter.

Harshnek attended Washington High School, until 2003. During these four years, Harshnek was an important Warrior athlete. His love for sports began at an early age when he joined basketball. With his hard work and talent, Harshnek eventually helped him to lead his high school Special Olympics team to two state championships for Wash. “That was awesome,” said Harshnek.

Even after a successful high school career, Harshnek was still saddened to leave Wash. “It was really hard to leave Wash. I felt disappointed going across the stage,” said Harshnek.

In fact, Harshnek missed Wash so much that he decided to get involved in the school. Now, Harshnek has been volunteering for at Wash for the past two years as a football manager and just finished off his first year helping out with the basketball team. The players love him, and he thinks highly of the team. “My favorite player to watch is Jason Oney!” said Harshnek, “He is a nice guy.”

During the football games, Sean can be seen on the sideline cheering the team on. “I like going into the end zone and catching the football from the kicker. That is when I do my hula dance,” explained Harshnek.

Harshnek also makes sure to keep an eye on the coaches. “[Coach Adam Sanchez] doesn’t lose his temper at all, and he is keeping up the good work. On the other hand, I think Lombardi is doing good, but I need to keep him out of trouble.”

When Harshnek isn’t helping out with the athletic teams at Wash, he works at an office where he is in charge of managing the calendars. On the weekends, Harshnek is also an usher at his church where he enjoys seeing all of the people he knows.
Sean Harshnek is an all around great guy who has contributed to many aspects of Washington High School both while he attended it and now as he helps out with the sports.

Harshnek also brings a great attitude to the field where he is always asking how you are doing or just coming up and saying hi. If you haven’t met Sean, make an effort to. He will make your day.