• March 1Paul Schneidermann GoFundMe page https://www.gofundme.com/jeff-schneidermann-memorial

Spring Sports Preview

Becca Tunis

Last year, spring sports at Washington High School had their ups and downs. The men’s and women’s tennis teams finished 1st and 4th in their divisions and both the women’s and men’s soccer teams finished 3rd. Women’s golf placed 6th at regionals but did not qualify any members for state. The women’s track team placed 4th at their divisional meet last year, and the men’s team placed 2nd at their divisional. The women’s track and field placed 4th in last year’s divisional meet, and the men’s team placed 2nd. All of the teams are hoping to improve this year.
This year is the tennis team’s second year with their new coach. “[Last season] was more of a challenge because we had a different coach than we usually have, but [Mr. Gianforte] was a really good coach and he’s been doing his best for us,” said women’s tennis player, Havika Lee ’17.
The women’s track team is hoping to make significant improvements this year. “I’m very hopeful this season, said runner Emily Wies, ’19. “For cross country, I was on varsity so this year for track I’m hopeful [to make varsity]. I feel pretty good about us. As long as we all have devotion and motivation we’ll be fine.
Last spring, the men’s soccer team finished with a 14-7 record and finished in third place in the Valley division of the Mississippi Valley Conference.
“I think [last season] could have gone better but I’m happy with the results,” said center back Andrew Hammer, ’18. “We just need to keep our heads down, get our chemistry down, and win some games.”
The main goals for many of our teams are to win games and meets, and to enjoy the activity. “Last season was fun like always. [This year] JV and varsity should be doing a lot better because we practiced a lot over the summer and hopefully it will go better than last year,” said Lee.
Hammer has big expectations for this season. “I expect us to make state and hopefully get to finals, but a nice team goal would be to just have fun and not worry about the results; just play soccer the way it’s meant to be played: with teamwork and trust,” he said.
Whether it’s soccer, track, tennis, or golf, one thing is certain; the Washington spring athletes are ready for a stellar season.