• March 1Paul Schneidermann GoFundMe page https://www.gofundme.com/jeff-schneidermann-memorial

Review: United States of Tara

Alexis Soukup

Their family is perfect. The family of four live in a cute little suburb in Kansas. But behind the doors of their cozy home there is a little secret. Tara Gregson, wife and mother, suffers from dissociative identity disorder (DID), better known as multiple personality disorder.

When Tara becomes stressed after dealing with their rebellious teenage daughter, or the other moms in the intimidating PTA, Tara’s personality changes. She has three main personalities besides her own, Buck, Alice and T. Buck is a redneck male who is a Vietnam vet. Alice is the traditional ’50’s housewife, and T is a promiscuous teenage girl. As the seasons progress more personalities are revealed.

Tara is supported by her husband Max, and her two children, Kate and Marshall. The show is comedic, but also a drama. The struggle with putting up with constant new personalities puts a strain on the family. When Tara returns to her personality she can never remember what her alters did, which also causes some tension.

While serious, the show is hilarious. Whenever her alter T comes out, she becomes more of a rebellious teen girl than her own daughter. Buck comes out and is the man of the house, but is stuck in Tara’s body meaning he must show up to PTA meetings.

“United States of Tara” appeared on Showtime in 2009. It was renewed for three seasons before its conclusion. Now the show is available on Netflix and Hulu.

The show is very meaningful, informing those who aren’t aware of this mental illness. Most shows hardly even recognize serious mental illnesses because of how it makes people uncomfortable. This show adds a comedic twist to a serious problem, educating those that DID is a serious disorder. “United States of Tara” is an incredible show of a powerful woman overcoming past demons.